Friday 8 January 2010

Do You Know Where You Are Going?....


 Footpath Sign in Snow ( Photograph )

I looked at this sign yesterday and smiled because the snow has hidden one side almost encouraging me to  follow the other more visible direction. Which coincidentally would have led me back home again!

A thought occured to me

My new quote for the day
"You cannot know where you are going until you know where you want to be" 
Jean Haines

How true is that for our lives but it is particularly valuable in  art.

1 ) You need to know what style you prefer to improve on it
2) Maybe you need to know your favourite subjects,those that appeal to you and those you find you get the best results with.
3 ) What do YOU want to achieve,do you wish to exhibit,write or simply paint to improve minus any goals?



So todays task is to choose your destination!




***********************

2 comments:

Nancy Wallace said...

Thanks for your suggested task for today - just what I needed to read this morning. I'm now going to spend time planning a watercolour with a local signpost, using one of my photos - but yours is inspirational.

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello there,thank you for leaving a reply. I have so many artists and students saying they feel they are going nowhere with their art. When I ask the question " Where do you want to go? " they haven't even thought about it. It really does help to aim for something. It could just be painting at least once a day.......I am over the moon you liked this post.............have a great day and happy painting!