Tuesday 8 June 2010

" Grumpy"

"Grumpy"
A fine cockerel gradually growing in  washes and layers of vibrant colour.

There is something far more interesting in painting subjects that aren't immediately seen as being beautiful. Last weeks " Animals Only " watercolour workshop saw me demonstrating a veriety of subjects looking at different sections and how to bring each to life in a unique way.

Here I am progressing from a simple eye demonstration. I have looked at this subject from different angles and he works very well as a landscape or portrait composition.  He is beginning to turn into a very exciting piece. All from a few simple brushstrokes!

**********************

During my demonstrations last week there was often complete silence and I had to look to see if everyone was awake. There wasn't a sound in the room as subjects began to appear on white paper during each new demonstration. I describe how I work with each new brushstroke and these were being completely absorbed by everyone in the room.


I started talking about the character of this cockerel and  raised the question of wondering why he  was so grumpy and in such a "fowl" mood. Comments such as " Maybe he's been on a hen night" or possibly been "hen pecked" gave rise to lovely laughter and the session really did turn into a wonderful day which flew by far too quickly.

Putting that smile into a painting and a feeling of being relaxed while you work definitely aids results.

Try it. Try laughing while you work or at least smiling and see what happens!


***********************

2 comments:

Nancy Wallace said...

Smiling or laughing while you work. Thanks. I'm going to try out your advice. I can certainly see the smile in your work.

JANE MINTER said...

grumpy looks full of life jean ..love the light coloured eye