Sunday 8 August 2010

Sunday,Sweet Sunday

Sweet Sensation
Delicate Sweet Pea flowers emerging from a first wash of Sennelier Tyrian Rose

The bouquet of Sweet Pea is still on my studio desk so several paintings of them have now emerged. I have been preparing for my watercolour workshops in Norway but each time I walked into my studio the scent from these pretty flowers distracted me. So much so I just had to capture them continually in watercolour.

Their  forms are fascinating.With ruffled skirts acting as a backdrop to a delicious central shape in the foreground they give an artist all they need in a composition. The petals seem almost transparent which makes them perfect as a watercolour subject. Colours just running merging to create individual  blossoms has been heaven while I have been so hectic with plans for 2011,this Autumns workshops, exhibitions and projects. And of course my trip to Norway.

I am aware I juggle so much and enjoy the challenges but at times when I need quiet I find solace and calm simply just by sitting surrounded by nature which soothes the busy soul and brings me to a place of peace that flows into my watercolours.  I have several friends who are facing such trauma in their lives at the moment and my heart reaches out to to them.

Because it is Sunday I am adding a lovely quote from Anne Frank in case anyone needs to  hear these words. So true.

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is
     to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone
     with the heavens, nature and God.

Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and 
     that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple 
     beauty of nature.  I firmly believe that nature brings solace 
     in all troubles. 
                                                                                 - Anne Frank   

If like me you have gorgeous flowers in your garden I suggest capturing them while you can painting from life. Because Summer as a season seems so short as does the lifespan of beautiful blooms. Many of my friends know I have had the most worrying time with my elderly dog Taffy .Sitting with him in the garden  or working with  painting flowers from  my garden has brought such comfort to me at times when I have felt the  saddest.

Taffy  is still here and stable now over the worst and happily lazing in the garden as I type!

**********************

2 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Wonderful quote....and all the best for your dog....
Cynthia Schelzig...a.k.a. Cynnie

M R Anand said...

the sweet peas blooms are very colourful. the paint dripping down has added your signature touch...

nice quote