Friday 10 August 2012

Foxglove Fantasia

Foxglove Collection
August 2012
Works in Progress

I couldn't wait to race into my garden today. Armed with paper, palette and brushes to continue with my series of foxglove watercolours.

I sat in sunshine and quietly explored several of these gorgeous flowers growing in my cottage garden. The wild variety  have wonderful single,bell like shapes hanging downwards. These are in one area of my garden but the more domesticated variety  I have grown form fantastic shapes,several varieties have tightly packed clusters of bells forming downwards along the stem,opening more widely as they near the base.

Its' been heaven sitting studying the colours and patterns within these subjects this morning. Happy memories came flooding back from childhood when I was convinced fairies existed and lived in these beautiful flowers. I was always told never to pick them because they are highly poisonous but their beauty is outstanding and they make great subjects to paint. As an adult I am loving watching fat  fuzzy bumble bees disappear inside each flower as they collect pollen.

My favourite paintings  so far is the one in the middle on my easel,waiting to dry for the next stages to be added. How relaxing to paint a subject you love so much and enjoy working on sheerly for the pleasure of making them come alive on paper. Although these will be completed and framed at some point for exhibitions.

I can't wait to continue with my new floral collection!


Beautiful Fogloves almost leaping off the paper towards me as I work!


****************

5 comments:

Candice said...

Stunning. How long have you worked so far on today's posted painting? The development is intriguing to watch.

corinne60 said...

very beautiful!I love it+++

corinne60 said...

very beautiful!I love it+++

Wildflowerhouse said...

So beautifully done. We have fields of them and I hate when they get mowed down. But every year they come back.

Melva said...

I love all your work but the foxgloves really do it for me.