Tuesday 24 June 2014

Not Standing Still : Watercolour Washes 2014

 Colour Burst

 Watercolour Washes 2014

As artists we cannot stand still. There are always new subjects, new colours and new techniques to explore. And if we cannot find any that inspire us we need to find our own, which is exactly what I do each day. Yes I adore painting flowers in my garden. I love painting animals and wildlife and of course I am passionate about painting landscapes. But as each year passes I look back at how I used to paint and imagine how I could improve as an artist.  Having knowledge about how pigments  work as they interact, their flow on paper and what they look like when dry is vital to my results and career. Also, with a new  major solo looming in September of this year I really want to aim for drama, impact and the "Wow"  Factor in my next collection.

Which meant this morning I couldn't wait to race to my studio and get warmed up with my daily exercises of washes. Everyone who has watched my demonstrations or attended my workshops will know exactly what I mean when I say I take three pieces of paper and work on them, aiming to make each more stunning than the first. To everyone who saw me at Patchings, this is how I progress getting brighter, more exciting and bolder as time goes by. Some days I like quiet colours but right now I am experimenting with Daniel Smith colours and oh boy, am I in love with Daniel Smith Quinachridone Fushia! It is perfect for summer flowers.You can see it in the top corner of the colour experiment " Colour Burst" above. 

The following two colour experiments are alive and tempting to work further on, so I will be adding a subject to these later.


  Colour Distraction
A technique I often use.


 Obviously the more exciting of the results  are often repeated on large pieces of paper  in preparatuon for my show work. I have many fabulous ideas from this mornings  warm up to my painting day




Colour Distraction 2
Beautiful greens for floral work


***************


Artist Tip for the day : Be brave and try a brand new colour this week.  How about delving into the Daniel Smith Shade Chart and treating yourself to just one  vibrant colour and experimenting with it. See which colours it plays with well alongside  a shade you already know. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain by being adventurous!

6 comments:

christy lemp said...

Thanks Jean for my inspiration of the day! This reminds me to get back to wash warm-ups. Beautiful!

Lorraine Rimmelin said...

Not a day goes by that I'm not dreaming of brilliant colors! I love Daniel Smith Quins too, ALL COLORS!!!

Carol Tribou said...

These are beautiful! Can you tell me about what size paper you like to use for these warm ups?

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hi Christy, my warm up washes get me excited about colour every single day, Definitely keep working on them! Jean

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hi Lorraine, oh yes, I love those Quins too!!

Jean

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hi Carol,
I use all kinds of sizes to be honest.

Small pieces of paper I test colour combinations on. For wash experiments I work on up to a half sheet. I hope this helps?

Thank you for asking me such a great question

Jean