Monday 4 September 2017

When The Cold Wind Blows : Experimental Watercolour 2017



"When The Cold Wind Blows"

With all the excitement of my exhibition opening this past weekend I was looking forward to being in my studio again this morning. I worked on my new book and as the day drew to a close I continued with my experimental journey in watercolour. Each time I try something completely new there is an excitement within my soul that cannot be described. I have barely left my easel as colour after colour, new technique after new technique emerged and I am thrilled with the results from the session which saw me try just about everything on several new paintings.

I am hit by how suddenly the weather in UK has changed taking us from the warmth of Summer into what should be a glorious Autumn. But the sky today has been grey and dull instead. Queens Anne's Lace adorns the canal banks where I often stroll in the early evenings near our home. It won't be long before the nights are darker and that is what influenced my experiments this afternoon.

I often wonder how dark can you go with watercolour and still have a good result. With colour obviously shining rather than being muddy in appearance. Below French Ultramarine and Indigo give dark blue for a night sky. Whilst white paper and violet bring the structural shapes to life of the plants in the foreground.

 
Structural shapes of Winter bring me exciting results in a watercolour composition

Cobalt Turquoise was stunning as a backdrop for my darker shades.  Using a water spray bottle gained fabulous soft effects as colours merged on paper, not in my palette. I don't use masking fluid as that leaves me with white paper restricting movement of the very pigments I love so much in action.


 Exciting patterns achieved by many experiments that led to this way of working.

I have a year ahead of wonderful workshops to look forward to, a new book to complete, filming in USA at the beginning of 2018  and an offer of yet another new book once this one is completed. Life is good but all I want to do really is paint.

And experiment, which will take my mind off  the cooler weather!

*******************

2 comments:

Barbara said...

The darks worked. They look vibrant and mysterious.

davkfmn said...

Thank You again for sharing Your inspirational & passionate work

Hope all is well

Dave