Thursday 22 March 2018

Freedom 2018 ; Foxgloves

"Fairy gloves"
Foxglove flowers in watercolour

Oh my goodness I am having a ball in my studio at the moment . I give so much time to teaching,filming, exhibiting and writing that over the years my own freedom to paint has diminished in that I grasp any moments I can between commitments and deadlines. To paint just for me in a way that frees my soul. Right now I have another full week ahead where I can paint in the quiet space of my studio and then after that  I start teaching in UK. As my workshops here begin on 3rd April 2018.

But there is a yearning inside of me and I can't explain it. Something is happening to my style and my passion for experimentation in a way that won't let me sit still for a second. I sleep seeing how I can add colours to make stronger patterns in my backgrounds. And I wake eager to try new ideas.

The fairy glove flowers ,or foxgloves as you may know them, above was an old painting that I hadn't finished. It was very quiet and subtle in colour originally. But these real flowers were the ones that fascinated me as a child. I saw them as magical as I had been told they were fairy gloves. Or fairy mittens. I used to think that the fairies must have had larger hands than I first imagined as these flower shapes were so big for tiny little beings. How strange that the memory still plays on my mind whenever I see these flowers. But I do think of fairy gloves as very magical flowers and my original painting didn't do that magic justice.

To improve it, first I played with the foreground adding texture and drama. Then I allowed light and movement to dance on the flowers themselves.

Is it finished? 

Not quite but I like showing my work in progress so anyone following my blog can see what I am up to.

We all change over time. And we grow in so many ways if we are open to new ideas. 
I am. 
I dread the thought of ever being stuck in a rut so I am using new colours, new products and exciting techniques to make the start of 2018 a brilliant one.

To be honest. I must confess I am reading through my new book and listening to myself. Yes we should all strive to be unique as artists and aim for something new when we create rather than always painting what we know and how we know it. Who knew that I would be inspiring "me" with this new book. But I am so glad I wrote it. I needed to read it and take all the tips and advise in!


But for now, back to painting!

*****************

No comments: